Wednesday, December 27, 2017

My Gilmore Girls Obsession & How it Helped Guide Me Here

I remember seeing the trailers for the pilot episode of Gilmore Girls and knowing I was going to enjoy the show before I even saw the first episode.  I was living with my Gram in the Shores at the time, and every Tuesday I picked up my sister Shannon from my parents.  We got chicken salads and ice cream from Dairy Queen, and we watched our show and we talked about how fun it would be to run our own inn together some day. 


I loved everything about Gilmore Girls--the idyllic small-town life, the quirky characters, the strong female leads, the quick and witty dialogue.  And even though the town of Stars Hollow is (alas) fictional, it's inspired by real places.  Something restless stirred in me and I knew that someday I must go to Connecticut and see it for myself.  But I never imagined moving here.

If I had time I could explain how my love of Gilmore Girls led to many good things in my life: getting a job at a B&B, a total revision of my first novel (which improved it at least 90%), a job at a B&B in Virginia which made it possible for me to finally get my degree and led to some of the best writing I've ever done, the invention of a board game I'm still trying to get off the ground, a "Really Big Idea" which is in the works, and that nagging desire to explore New England--which definitely influenced my decision to apply to my current job and a couple months later, to move here (which is probably the best decision I've ever made).

And I'll admit, Gilmore Girls was in the back of my mind the whole time.  When I met the owners and their names were Dean and Jess, I took that as I sign.  (What Gilmore fan wouldn't?)  I explored as much as I could those first few months, and I searched for any signs of the show I loved so much.

So how does my current reality measure up to my Gilmore Girls ideal?  I decided to start the show from the beginning (again) to find out.

One thing that strikes me watching these early episodes is how "adult" Lorelai seems, even when she's pretty immature and casual in her private life.  At work she wears these tailored suits and red lipstick and heels, and I can't help but notice that I still dress pretty much like I did in college--comfy.  I am trying to "adultify" my wardrobe a little, but in truth, I'd rather be this version of Lorelai:

It's also important to note that Lorelai is the manager of a busy Inn, not the Innkeeper of a small B&B.  So while she spends her days telling people want to do and keeping the crazy under control, I'm cleaning rooms, doing laundry, cooking, taking out the trash, feeding the goat, and now... stuffing the boiler with logs every few hours.  You get my drift, a suit would not be practical.  

Next, East Hampton doesn't look anything like Stars Hollow, but we do have a gazebo and now we have a cool little coffee shop.  We also have Eggs Up (a little diner) close by, though it's technically in Portland.  Also, Stars Hollow has a quaint little pond, but we have a lake.


  


Next, the Independence Inn is nothing like the Bevin House (and I'm glad).  The Independence Inn is way more formal and stuffy than the Bevin House, and they have a crew of at least a dozen people running it. 

 

A formal environment means a totally different kind of guest and a lot more stress.  Not that we don't have stressful moments here, but for the most part our guests are much more easy-going and having them is like having family.  In fact, check out usually involves hugs.  The one thing I do envy about the Independence Inn is Sookie--because who wouldn't want to hang out with Melissa McCarthy every day?


My biggest challenge here is trying to find balance between my work-life as an Innkeeper and my private life as a creative individual.  I suppose it's natural to seek "boundaries" in our lives, but lately I am thinking that the more I merge the two, the better--for me and for the business.

So I am about to embark on a new creative project--creating a sketch journal of life here at the Bevin House (because apparently a blog isn't enough).  I'll also be writing our own Murder Mystery dinner, inspired by East Hampton History, the Bevin House, and the Victorian Era in general.  

I never realized how influential this show would be in shaping my life.  When I cook meals, I often think of Sookie.  When I'm cleaning rooms I think of Lorelai's early days as a maid and those "bouncing quarters."  When I'm writing or studying, I think of Rory and her dedication to her goals.  I can't help but feel that if it weren't for this show, my life would be very different right now.  If the show never existed, would I have found my way to this time and place, where I feel so happy and inspired and at home?  Luckily, I never have to find out.

And now, to work!  "Super cool party people bid you super cool adieu!"

1 comment:

  1. I am going to add Gilmore Girls to my play list. What a wonderful synchronicity you describe here and I love the way you weave the parallel stories together in this post! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...