Friday, November 17, 2017

Reading, Writing, and not-so-much Wandering...

Hello, everyone!  I just realized it's been over a week since my last post, so I thought I'd update anyone who cares on what's been going on.  It's been chilly lately, so I haven't been out exploring as much as I normally would. 

Guest-wise things have been quiet here at the Bevin House, though I've still been giving tours, having meetings about upcoming events, and doing lots of little cleaning & organizing projects. 

I had to chuck most of our plants and pumpkins, because we had a hard frost a few days ago and everything died :(  But my mom is officially coming for a visit right after Thanksgiving, and I can't think of anyone more talented to help with the Christmas decorations!

We have 2 big events coming up that I'm looking forward to...

 

We also have a Mahjong Club coming for breakfast next month, and possibly a book club (I'm giving them a tour tonight).  So things are moving right along...

I've also been spending time (almost) every day writing, which is huge for me because I haven't written regularly since I finished my first screenplay this spring.  I'm doing a novel adaptation based on a short story I wrote while at SVU.  It's called "The Suspension of William Worthington."  Here's my mock book-cover, because I'm a super nerd...


 I'm currently behind my quota, but I'm almost at 25,000 words (the goal is 50,000), which is exciting.  I'm also joining a local writing group-- The East Hampton Writers Guild, and our first meeting is next week.  It'll be nice to meet some local writers and get a little more involved with the town.  To be honest, lately my socializing consists of 3 places--the Bevin House, the library, and the grocery store.  Don't get me wrong, I like those places... but I am feeling a little isolated lately.

I'm also reading again.  I set aside Uncle Tom's Cabin because for the life of me, I could not get excited about reading it.  So now I'm reading a book that I actually enjoy reading...


It's perfect timing, because of my recent trip to the Emily Dickinson Museum & my recent viewing of "A Quiet Passion," a film about Emily Dickinson staring Cynthia Nixon.  Not gonna lie, parts of it are a little painful, but on the whole it's pretty well researched and seems true to life.  The book however, is not a biography, as I initially thought, but a novel, written as if from the secret mind of Emily herself, and in a language that's quick, electric, and very inspiring for my current project.

Anyway, now the tagline of my blog "an Innkeepers adventures as she reads, writes, and wanders her way through New England" is a little more honest :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...