Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A Fall-ish Type Roadtrip :)

I've been meaning to write up a new post for a few days, but I've been super busy (you'll see why in my next post...  But I decided to take some time and tell you about this past Saturday-- which was awesome.  Some days are slower than others in this business, but it's pretty rare on a weekend, so I took advantage and had a full day of exploring.

First stop: Robb's Farm, a charming spot in Glastonbury where I got some hot apple cider and the best apple fritters of my LIFE.


From there I went to Southington to check out the Apple Harvest Festival.  But after parking I saw this interesting museum and decided to check it out first.  And I'm so glad I did, because it's maybe my favorite historic home of all time.  And I'm from St. Augustine...


It's called the Amon Bradley Homestead OR the Barnes Museum, and it was built in 1836.  Apparently this family lived in it for several generations and they kept everything.  So in addition to just being a beautifully intricate home, it also has this amazing collection of historical items, including tons of family journals.  And unlike many museums, you can walk through the rooms and look at things up close.




  
 






From there I went to check out the fair, which was pretty big and very busy.  




Took a pic of this ride just because it's super creepy...



After an hour or so I'd done a full lap and I wasn't about waiting around 5 hours for the fireworks, so I decided to keep exploring and circle back.  Looked on my map and saw that I was pretty close to Castle Craig (which is on my list :) so I decided to go there first.  The ride up the mountain, through the trees and along the water, was quite beautiful and very peaceful.



And the view from the top did not disappoint.




After that, I still had plenty of time.  So I decided to go back to New Haven and walk around a bit.  Accidentally found "Handsome Dan," (Yale fight song anyone?)


Enjoyed lots of incredible architecture...



And took a quick (free) tour of one of many Art Galleries.  Honestly, even if the building was completely empty, it's worth walking through.

 


    




I just realized that there's a completely unintentional kind of feminine power about these pictures...

 



 Was just finishing my tour of Old Campus and starting to head back to the car when I heard a familiar tune playing on the steeple bells.  Can you guess it?  Some delighted students nearby start singing along at the end, so if you're thinking that's me singing, it is NOT.


  

I think the above statue of the seated man with the shiny toe is the "Lucky" one mentioned in Gilmore Girls.  So I rubbed it just in case :)


From there I went back to to the Southington Festival, enjoyed some music, walked around a little more, and finally...

FIREWORKS!!!
'Why do I love fireworks so much?' you might ask.  Well I'll tell you.  I don't know.  
But it was getting pretty chilly out and it was a long show, and by the end even I was like, "Beautiful,but let's wrap it up."


Anyway, that was my crazy long, fun day. And then I ran a quick errand and came home to enjoy a bit of a fire with the neighbors :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...