Thursday, May 3, 2018

Spring, spring, spring!

Okay guys, this post is long overdue.  First of all, even though we had more snow creeping into April, now it is officially spring, and it looks a 'lil bit like this...


(Disclaimer: this picture is actually from the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers."  If you haven't seen it, what on earth are you waiting for?)

Secondly, my friend Kelsey finally came for a visit, and it. was. the. best.  I also got an impromptu visit from my cousin Lamar who was in CT for a meeting in Hartford.  So I gave them both a tour of the Bevin House and we had a nice long talk.  Then Kelsey and I set out for our first adventure:
Stew Leonard's.  For those of you not from New England, it's a grocery store.  

That's right... a grocery store.  

But to say this place is simply a grocery store is kind of like saying Disneyland is a playground.  It's kind of like if Splash Mountain and Whole Foods and Ikea had a baby...  and that baby would look like this:


It's weird and wonderful, and I knew Kelsey would be as confused and fascinated as I was by it.  On the way home we stopped at Wadsworth Falls, which was pretty even in dull colors and dying daylight.  And then we spent hours prepping for the Tea Party and watched a movie.  It was pretty much the best day ever.



The tea party was delightful.  I invited a few local ladies who've become friends, and my best buddy Maureen, who's birthday it was :)  

The next day we took a fieldtrip to Mystic--one of my favorite places to take visitors.  We toured Mystic Seaport (and I actually got to take my time and saw a few new exhibits).  They still do the live presentation at Treworgy Planetarium (just like in the movie!), so that was relaxing.  
Then we got Mystic Pizza and walked around downtown.  


We had dessert from Sift, that was almost too beautiful to eat...



Yes, we got 4 desserts.  Don't judge us.

Over the weekend we started in on the "spring cleaning" list for the Bevin House.  It's like 9 pages...

For our last day together I wanted to do something really special, but it was raining and awful outside.  Also, it was a Monday, which in Connecticut is apparently a national holiday or something, because most museums and art galleries are always closed Mondays.  Whatever, we figured it out.

We did a quick drive through New Haven, and went to Jordan's Furniture, which is way cooler than it sounds.  We actually toured the furniture store first, and I kind of pretended that it was the main attraction.  Then, of course, we got to the back and she was like, "What?!"


We got delicious pizza from Blaze, and then we did the zipline course for about an hour.  I felt so much more comfortable this time, except for one particular obstacle that I will NEVER do again. Other than that, it was great.  Even got a video of Kelsey doing the zipline over the water :)

By the time we left, feeling brave and powerful (though that might have been the "Jurassic Park" theme song they play over the speakers at the exit), the weather was clearing up.  And when we arrived at our next spot--Lighthouse Point Park, it was beautiful.


I was sad to see her go, but so happy she was finally able to come visit.  I've really been secretly plotting to relocate her here ever since I moved.  So if anyone knows of a job and a place to stay for a really cool chick, let me know.  

In other news, I am reading:


...which is probably the funniest and most endearingly honest books I've ever read.

I am writing:

a Gilmore-themed memoir
(here's my mock-cover)


You'll notice I am testing out a nom de plume...

Here's a comic I made about my feelings about writing a memoir:



Adventure update:

There have been too many adventures to count lately, mostly involving doing totally out of character things like joining Match.com and "networking," which have led to some delightful surprises.

I've been a little all over the place for the past few weeks, and my to-do list was getting out of control (personal stuff, not work-related).  So yesterday I erased all of it and did this...


Which basically sums things up, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...