Sunday, February 25, 2018

February Fieldtrips: weird art, baby goats, and misty beaches

 Hello everyone!  February is flying by, and has been filled with so many fun and lovely things--like this Valentine's stuff that came from my sister, including a beautiful cowl which she made herself!


and more yummy breakfasts and friendly visitors...


And more exploring!

Last week I went to check out the New Britain Museum of American Art 
(free with my library pass, hooray!)

Off to a great start, almost said hello to this adorable security guard at the front...


He is art!  Not impressed?  Take a look at this closeup...


Of course, there were traditional pieces as well... 


Some were beautiful...



Some were begging to be memed...



Some were charming...


And sometimes there's an old scientist making people soup...


Wait, what?...


Oh, it's okay.  He's actually just putting him in suspended animation.  Moving along...

I really liked this sculpture, and as I was wandering through this part of the museum I heard the song from Ghost, I think its called "Unchained Melody," but kind of slow and haunting.  I thought it was part of the exhibit, and then I rounded the corner to find a cute old man full-out singing.  


Over the weekend we got some beautiful, glittery snow.  And I went on a field-trip with my friend Maureen to check out a Farmer's Market at Cold Creek Farm in Colchester.  They had some adorable baby goats, and I got a beautiful turquoise mug :)


And since we were having such a nice time, we had a snowball fight by the lake and then drove out to Niantic beach for a stroll in the sun.



Sunday I did lots of cooking in preparation for Monday, when we had our Mahjong Ladies Breakfast: Eggs Benedict Strata, Cheesy Potato Casserole, Honey-Butter Croissants, Fruit & Yogurt Parfaits, Bacon, and for dessert, Orange-Vanilla Monkey Bread!  (They gave me an applause ;)

Tuesday morning I cleaned and ran errands, then because the weather was so beautiful, I went for a quick hike by the river at Comstock Bridge.



The next day, the weather was even more gorgeous--sunny in the 70's, so after a few chores I set out adventuring.  Took a quick hike at Goodwin Park...


Where I met this really cute guy...


Then strolled on down to New London, which was weird and wonderful.


I especially loved the quiet, misty ambiance at Ocean Beach Park...






Then just for kicks and giggles I went to the Lyman Allyn Art Museum.  It's in a beautiful building on top of a hill, and it's small, but a nice mix of traditional and modern.








With the remaining daylight I headed back through Old Lyme...


 I was really searching for a great spot by the water, because I remembered the beautiful sunset there from last time.  Luckily, I found Elizabeth B. Karter Watch Rock Preserve, a quiet, beautiful little hiking spot and perfect for a few sunset pics.





Next on the Belle of Bevin House... the MURDER MYSTERY EVENING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...