Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Storming the Castle

Up early to cook my first breakfast for the new owners.  Took a little time to find certain things, and I made up a new dish--"Strawberries & Cream French Toast," "Bacon-Veggie-3 Cheese Quiche," sausage links, and a fruit cup.  I was pretty pleased with how it turned out, and they seemed to like it, so I was happy.  

Now that I'm back at a B&B, I'm so excited to experiment with some really cool breakfast ideas.  I have an idea for a raspberry mint french toast, and another for blueberry lemon crumble french toast.  I want to find a bunch of new garnish ideas too...

It's always fun spending the morning with mom.  She's an early riser, and by the time I'm up she's super chipper and excited to tell me things.  Lately it's been plant/flower or home related.  Or Parsnip, the Bevin House pet goat, which she is quite obsessed with.

After breakfast and a good talk with Dean & Jess, we headed out to Dean's place on the river, so that mom could finally go kayaking.  (She was aching to on our last trip and didn't get a chance).  The family renting it out was super sweet, and we had several warnings about "THE STAIRS"....




It's quite a descent, and I wish we'd counted the steps, but all I can say is there are a lot of them.  However, there are little spots along the way to rest, and the view is so beautiful it's well worth the effort.  There's only 1 kayak right now, so I insisted mom take it and I sat with my feet in the water and my nose in a book (which is pretty much my favorite place to be anyway).  She made it all the way down to the castle and back just in time, so I was really proud of her.





On the way you pass through a quaint little village called Middle Haddam, which is where Jess grew up.  We passed this beautiful church, and I mentioned it to Jess, she said it's where her mom used to play the organ, which is kinda cool.


When we got back to the inn Mom took a much needed nap and I got busy cleaning the 3rd floor.  I haven't done much of the housekeeping side of innkeeping, but it's actually pretty fun.  I made a little checklist on my phone and played music while I worked, and before I knew it almost 3 hrs had gone by.  When mom got up she and I worked on our planter project.  They turned out beautiful and they look so nice up against the house.  

We ended the day by going again to the Air Line Trail in search of the "cool bridge."  We found the viaduct, which does have a beautiful view, but no luck finding the bridge.  Dean's going to think we're hopeless because he's explained to us how to get to it like 3 times and we still haven't found it.  But I will not give up!


When we got home (which is lovely to say), I made us dinner (Hello Fresh!): parmesan-crusted tilapia and herb-roasted veggies.  It was super delicious, and incidentally the first solid meal we've had on our trip.  We've pretty much been living off of yogurt, granola bars, cup o'soup, and sandwiches, so this meal really hit the spot.  After dinner I started painting, but it was 9pm by this time, and I was so tired I was about to drop, so I only painted a section.  Mom and I spent some time together as she packed and I worked on my computer a bit, and went to bed by midnight.  What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...