Sunday, August 27, 2017

New Beginnings

So I'm reading a book right now called The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck.  And I read a line the other day that really struck me.  The protagonist, a hard-working man who'd had a run of bad luck but was on an incredible upswing, reflected that he was "afraid of his own happiness."  Not until I read those words did I realize that I myself was afraid of my own happiness.  Those of you who know me well know that the past year has had a lot of ups and downs, not the least of which was my trying to figure out what to do next with my life.

A little over a month ago the whole idea of the Bevin House seemed like a faraway dream.  So many things had to fall into place (including Mom being open-minded enough to drive another 8 hrs. in the opposite direction, rather than heading home to FL).  But from the moment I saw the house, met the owners, and started exploring this beautiful state I knew this was where I wanted to be.  Everything has gone smoothly.  So smoothly, in fact, that I've been suspicious of it all.  I've been afraid that this, like many of my other plans over the past year, would not work out.  So I kept quiet about it.  Only my family and a few close friends know that I'm even up here and why.  But today, the cat's out of the bag!  Time to embrace this opportunity, no matter how long it may last, and celebrate and share with the people I know and love, and just trust that maybe this time... things will work out.


I have big plans for the Inn, and for myself while living here (which fall into the basic categories of read, write, and explore).  I'm also excited to meet new people, try new things, and see what new adventures await.  Most of all, I can't wait for visits from family and friends so I can show off this beautiful house and my new favorite state.  Come one, come all! 

2 comments:

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...