Saturday, July 21, 2018

More CT Exploring and Some Small Town Fun

Because I am a super nerd, I have printed this map of CT, and I'm coloring in each town as I explore.  Here's what my current map looks like...


A couple weeks I go I set again, starting with a hike at Mine Hill Preserve, in Roxbury, CT.  It's a 360 acre park with miles of trails and a 19th-century iron mine and furnace.  There's also a series of tunnels that serve as bat hibernacula.... yes, apparently that's a word.



  

Then on my way to the next town I passed this awesome/weird house for sale.  I'd seen it before and was curious, but this time I actually stopped and explored a little...


  


Later on I did a little research on the property, and it turns out the house was built almost entirely by one man on the weekends, a guy named "Cadillac Joe," who's a bit of a recluse.  I don't know if he's still around, but the house is for sale, and I'm curious to see what will become of it.  It has a really cool atmosphere about it, and a beautiful view of the surrounding woods, the only real downside is that it's very close to a busy highway...








 A few days later I ventured south, to Lavender Pond Farm in Killingworth.  It's a charming little spot, and well worth a visit.










From there I headed further south to Westbrook, CT, which is right on the coast.  While there, I checked out Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Preserve.  There's a historic home on the property called the Enoch Murdock House, but it's a private residence, so you can only see it from the outside.  





The next day I drove out to explore more of Litchfield County, stopping first at Nonnewaug Falls, which has been on my list for a while.  The trail was beautiful, but it wasn't very well marked, and it was crazy hot outside.





Eventually I did find the waterfall, which looks a little like this... (not my picture).  Pretty, but not my favorite.  I still prefer Wadsworth or Enders Falls.


Meandered a bit after that, and found some other cool, random things...



That weekend at the Inn, I had a full house with a group I've been looking forward to hosting, a reunion group with some of my favorite ladies.  It was a very busy but fun weekend.  It was also the weekend of "Old Home Days," a local celebration here in East Hampton.  So one night Adam and I walked downtown to check it out.  Enjoyed some great live music, yummy snacks, and a ride on the ferris wheel.  Basically, I'm having too much fun this summer...





Coming soon... our NY & MA mini-vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...