Friday, August 25, 2017

Nesting...

The past few days have flown by.  Mornings started with feeding Parsnip and watering the plants, and then I set to work.  Thursday it was cleaning the room my mom stayed in and painting my new room.  Got quite a bit done, and it's really looking good now.  Had dinner with Jess & Dean, then Jess and I talked for a couple hours before bed.  I'm so glad to have bonded with her so quickly, and it's nice to feel like I already have a friend up here.

Friday I cleaned my old room and started unpacking and setting up my new room.  It's definitely starting to feel more like my own space now.  Spent some time researching the Bevin family, especially Alice Conklin Bevin, the artist whose work graces the 3rd floor bathroom.  Turns out she was a pretty big deal.  She studied at Hartford Art School, then in New York, Provincetown, and Boston.  She lived in Paris for fifteen years, but returned to CT at the outbreak of WWII.  She traveled widely, painting subjects of all types from the Arctic to the Sahara.  Here are a few of my favorites so far...







Doesn't the last one look like Chummy from "Call the Midwife?" Anyway, I'm planning to go to the Historical Society at some point and get more articles and info about Alice and the Bevin House.  It's like a treasure hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye...

  I am writing this post almost 3 years after I took this picture, of a bouquet my lovely friends in my writing group gave me as a fare...